Sunday, June 21, 2009

The updating and migration of all files is completed. There are roughly 20 tracks that I need to sort through and decide what is appropriate for the album and what needs to wait and evolve some more. Unfortunately my brain is on audio-overload, which means I need to switch to art for a while until it can reset.

Saturday, June 13, 2009

Recording Journal: week 2

I am migrating tracks now. This has to be done because I upgraded some of the instruments and FX I have been using throughout the past 2 years. Some of these tracks were written with Battery 1 and some of them were even on Cubase 3.1. In fact I just upgraded to SX last year and I have only written a couple R010R tracks since the upgrade. Mostly it has been remixes and special tracks for compilations.

Now I am working with NI Battery 2 [I really do not like 3] and I am moving a lot of softsynths over to the impOSCar and Reaktor. Luckily though, I did know to drop down the real instruments to WAVs whenever I completed a track. So I do not have to go searching for real synth patches anywhere. In fact my biggest dilemma right no is migrating drum kits to Battery. I did not save the drum kits for each track and now I have to spend 20-30 min tracking down every individual WAV file-through my vast collection of 100 drumkits :/ A real pain in the ass. I am kicking myself for not thinking ahead.

Today I refinished the very first track [The Writers Cage] and the very last track [Our Collapsed Star] both working titles. I am very excited because I got to start using the Battery 3 drum kits [even though I only like the Battery 2 unit]. Also I have been able to change some of the weaker synth sounds I had saved, to some of the bad ass new Virus B patches. Thanks again to Chris [I, Parasite] for selling this beast to me. I was borrowing a Virus C [from AiB] when I wrote "Gradual Destabilization", I really did not like how smooth and clean it sounded. I was also fond of the dirtier and powerful Virus B. So now it is my backbone real synth alongside the KORG MS2k.

Then I have my noise beast! Early on in R010R, I used a Nord 2 specifically for noise. Then when I heard the 4ms Noise Swash [again thanks to Chris-IP] I knew I had a replacement for my noise needs. Now I am having a great time adding total noise to these tracks. It really makes an incredible impact. I will put up some new demo tracks soon. I just need to test some of the mixes for accuracy...

Friday, June 12, 2009

R010R-End.Of.All.Reason [2009]

The follow-up to last years R010R LP "Gradual Destabilization", is in the production stages.

This LP was started immediately after GD was complete. All the songs are written, sequenced, and mostly recorded. I just have to add the vocals and figure out the placement. Also I have more tracks that I can put on an 80min CD so I have to figure out what to use and what to set aside for later.

In this discussion post I will put all the updates for the audio [supported by clips on the website player] and updates for the artwork concept. I am working with Sire-Press again, so the package will be a very artistic and specific part of the album.